Thursday, April 21, 2011

Famous Last Words




As we approached Good Friday I found myself wondering how Jesus was feeling during this last week of His life here on earth. I made my way to the
gospel of John and read chapter 13 through the end of the book of John, exploring Jesus' last moments with his dear disciples, His arrest, His interrogation and His crucifixion and death. 

So much from these passages moved me, but new things struck me this time like never before: Jesus' tenderness with His disciples, 
His determinedness to glorify the Father, 
His dignity throughout many humiliations, 
His loving care for His people until the very end (John 19:26-27).

I found myself being drawn to Jesus' words, His messages to people, 
His last teachings, His prayers . 
So, as we remember the cross today, let us reflect on Jesus' "famous last words": 


***


"Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." 
~ John 13:14-17

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." ~ John 14:1

"I am the way and the truth and the life." ~ John 14:6

"And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--the Spirit of truth." ~ John 14:16

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." ~ John 14:27

""I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me, but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me." ~ John 14:30

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing... This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." ~ John 15:5,8

"You are my friends if you do what I command." ~ John 15:14

"You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy." ~ John 16:20

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." ~ John 16:33

"Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify You."
 ~ John 17:1

"I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, 
and I am coming to You. Holy Father, protect them by the power of Your name--the name you gave me--so that they may be as one as we are one." ~ John 17:11

"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as You are in me and I am in You." 
~ John 17:20-21

"You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me." 
~ John 18:37

"IT IS FINISHED." ~ John 19:30


***


Today is Good Friday on my side of the world. 
It is raining outside. 
I remember. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments so much!
Please click the "Subscribe by email" link in order to be notified of replies to your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...